To: Student Athletes and Parents
Date: March 13, 2020 5:15pm
Topic: FHS Athletic update
We have amazing students and live in a tremendous community. In recent days we have been filled with many emotions and have asked many questions. This afternoon Gov. DeWine and Executive Director, Jerry Snodgrass provided several updates and answers. As a result, the following will occur.
- A MANDATORY no-contact period is in effect for all school-sponsored sports March 17-April 5, 2020. Additionally, there will be a mandatory shut down of facilities used for the purpose of conducting athletics activities from March 17-April 5, 2020.
- OHSAA Regional and State Boys Basketball, State Girls Basketball, State Ice Hockey and State Individual Wrestling Tournaments
As announced Thursday, the above-mentioned tournaments are postponed indefinitely. Given the rapidly changing events nationally and statewide, we are assessing the situation daily. It is impossible to make a determination today . . . the reason for continuing them to be ‘postponed.’
Further, we have implemented indefinitely a no-contact period, which prohibits any coach, paid or volunteer, approved by the Board of Education to provide coaching, instruction or supervising conditioning and physical fitness programs or open gyms to members of a school team in their sports. Again, we are assessing this daily and we WILL keep you up-to-date on a regular basis.
- PLEASE athletes DO NOT PARTICIPATE on any non-interscholastic teams. This is still viewed as in-season and we must avoid any issues with eligibility. To my knowledge most non-interscholastic teams have suspended play for three weeks, which helps.
- If you are a FALL, WINTER or SPRING athletewho does not have TeamBuild’R please contact Coach Sprouse immediately at email@example.com. Coach will be able to provide strength training suggestions through this app.
- I have also asked our athletic training staff to provide nutritional information and healthy food choices during this time of uncertainty. I will distribute this on Monday.
- As a result of these mandatesALL banquets, picture days, meetings, practices, games and scrimmages will not be permitted on Findlay High School facilities until April 5.
Thank you for your cooperation and I will update as necessary. Take care and thank you, Go Trojans.